PUBLICATIONS | EVENTS | ARTICLES & OP-EDS | PRESS | PRESENTATIONS | PARTNERS & SPONSORS
Latin American Crude Oil Exports:
The Battle for Market Share
Facing growing competition for a shrinking US market, Latin American crude oil producers are being forced to seek new export markets. As Asian energy demand continues to grow, crude oil flows from Latin America are increasingly moving east rather than north. However, tapping markets outside of the United States also brings a new set of challenges.
To read the full report, click here.
Local Conflicts and Natural Resources:
A Balancing Act for Latin American Governments
Conflicts over energy and natural resources are leading to social
turmoil and posing serious challenges for investment projects all over
Latin America. To better manage such conflicts, Latin American
governments must step up their involvement in the consultation process
and communicate more effectively with local communities about potential
social, environmental and economic impacts, according to a new report by
the Inter-American Dialogue.
To read the full report, click here.
Photos by Larry Luxner
Energy in Central America and the Caribbean
High electricity costs are a critical impediment to economic growth and
competitiveness in Central America and the Caribbean, but efforts to
expand energy integration and increase the use of new energy sources are
advancing, according to a panel at the Inter-American Dialogue in
Washington. To read more about the event, click here.
The Energy, Climate Change and Extractive Industries Program seeks to improve understanding and communication on energy policy issues in Latin America through research, public events and roundtable discussions. By producing balanced analysis and convening policymakers, corporate leaders and industry experts, the program informs and shapes policies that promote investment while encouraging economically, socially and environmentally responsible development of natural resources.
Lisa Viscidi, Program Director
Genaro Arriagada, Non-Resident Senior Fellow
Rebecca O'Connor, Program Assistant
For more information, contact (202) 463-2571.
The Dialogue's weekly Energy Advisor
ENERGY & RESOURCES COMMITTEE
For more information on the Energy & Resources Committee, click here.
- Mexico's Energy Reform: Bridging the Skills Gap, Rebecca O'Connor, June 11, 2015. (Español)
- Latin American Crude Oil Exports: The Battle for Market Share, Lisa Viscidi and Ramón Espinasa, June 1, 2015.
- Local Conflicts and Natural Resources:
A Balancing Act for Latin American Governments, Lisa Viscidi and Jason Fargo, May 21, 2015.
- Filling The Gap: How the US Energy Boom is Shaping Refining Markets in Latin America, Lisa Viscidi, March 23, 2015. (Español)
- Navigating Risk in Brazil's Energy Sector: The Chinese Approach, Lisa Viscidi and Margaret Myers, October 2, 2014.
- A Brighter Future for Mexico: The Promise and Challenge of Electricity Reform, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell, June 12, 2014. (Español) (Chinese)
- Informe avance SIEPAC y propuesta de medidas, Genaro Arriagada, June 10, 2014
- Natural Gas in Central America, Paul Shortell, Kathryn Baragwanath and Carlos Sucre, March 7, 2014
- Shale Gas in Latin America: Opportunities and Challenges, David Mares, July 17, 2013.
- Workshop on Natural Gas & LNG Trade in the Americas, July 7, 2015
- Latin America Clean Transport Forum, September 2, 2015.
- Energy in Central America and the Caribbean, May 7, 2015. (Agenda)
- Energy and Human Capital Roundtable, Mexico City, April 28, 2015. (Agenda)
- Workshop on Crude Oil Markets in Latin America, March 19, 2015.
- Climate Change and Latin America: The outlook for COP 20 and beyond, November 6, 2014.
- Workshop on Refining Markets in Latin America, October 1, 2014.
- Perspectives on Energy and Mining in Colombia, August 28, 2014.
- The Outlook for Brazil’s Oil and Gas Sector, June 26, 2014.
- Mexico’s Energy Reform: Assessing the Secondary Legislation June 24, 2014.
- Mexico's Energy Reforms: What's Next for Gas and Electricity? June 6, 2014.
- A Conversation on China-Brazil Energy Relations, May 20, 2014. Hosted in coordination with FIESP.
- What Does North America's Energy Boom Mean for Latin America? April 23, 2014.
- Colombia: Economic Impact of the Oil Price Decline, January 23, 2015.
- China and Latin America in a Carbon-Constrained World, November 21, 2014 (presentation)
- Natural Gas, LNG and Hydropower: Balanced Energy Mix in Electricity Generation, July 30, 2014.
- Resource Nationalism in Latin America, June 17, 2014.
- Petrobras: from Privatization to Resource Nationalism, May 2, 2014.
- Colombia: Extractive Industries and the Economy, April 29, 2014.
- The importance of Rousseff's visit to Washington, by Lisa Viscidi, June 21, 2015.
- Conflict over Natural Resources Sparks Political Upheaval in Peru, by Lisa Viscidi and Jason Fargo, March 3, 2015.
- Low Oil Prices Have Silver Lining For Latin America’s Heavy Crude Producers, by Lisa Viscidi, OilPrice.com, January 17, 2015.
- Ecuador and Venezuela seek Chinese support amid oil price decline, by Margaret Myers and Lisa Viscidi, Inter-American Dialogue China and Latin America blog, December 16, 2014.
- How Would an End to the US Export Ban Affect the Region?, Lisa Viscidi in the Latin America Advisor, November 30, 2014
- Why Investors Shouldn't Overlook Argentina's Energy Reforms, Juan Cruz Diaz and Lisa Viscidi in Oil Price, October 30, 2014.
- Falling Oil Prices Push Venezuela, Maduro Closer to the Edge, Paul Shortell in World Politics Review, October 22, 2014.
- How Latin America is making the case for green growth, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell in FT beyondbrics, October 10, 2014.
- How lack of skills can derail Mexico’s energy reform, Jason Fargo in PREAL Blog, August 12, 2014. (Español)
- La difícil búsqueda del equilibrio, Lisa Viscidi in El Tiempo, July 11, 2014. (English).
- As Shale Output Grows, U.S. Oil and Gas Exports to Mexico Boom, Lisa Viscidi in Institutional Investor, April 27, 2015.
- In Panama, leaders of the Americas tackle 'prosperity with equity', Lisa Viscidi in Devex, April 9, 2015.
- El BID cree que el crecimiento en America Latin va a ser del 2,2% ¿cuáles serán los principales retos para alcanzar esta meta?, Lisa Viscidi in Zoom a la Noticia, January 12, 2015.
- Oil price plunge raises Mexico energy reform concerns, Lisa Viscidi in The Financial Times, December 8, 2014.
- Venezuela Turmoil Signals End of Oil-for-Jeans Giveaway, Lisa Viscidi in Bloomberg, November 25, 2014
- Colombian Rebels' Attacks Set Back Nation, Lisa Viscidi in the Wall Street Journal, November 7, 2014.
- Petroleras podrían abandonar el país ante pesimismo de inversionistas, Lisa Viscidi in El Tiempo, September 12, 2014.
- Mexico energy reform gives Colombia the jitters, Lisa Viscidi in Business News Americas, September 11, 2014.
- Reforma energética fracasará si no bajan tarifas eléctricas: expertos, Lisa Viscidi and Paul Shortell in El Financiero, July 10, 2014.
- Shale boom confounds forecasts as US set to pass Russia, Saudi Arabia, Lisa Viscidi in Reuters, July 9, 2014.
The views expressed by the Inter-American Dialogue do not necessarily reflect those of its sponsors